Ask The Pros
Boy or Girl
Finding a Class
Week by Week
Who We Are
Ask A Nurse
Questions and Answers
- Before Pregnancy: Preconceptional health, medications during conception, fertility questions, and gender selection to name a few.
- Early Pregnancy: Morning sickness, pregnancy tests, spotting, exposure to harmful substances and more.
- Pregnancy: Sleeping positions, nutrition, and more.
- Labor & Birth: Episiotomies, fetal monitoring, pain medications and more.
- Postpartum: So now what do you do? When will your period come back, what about your stomach?
- Testing in Pregnancy and Birth: AFP, amniocentesis, monitoring, ultrasound and more.
- Parenting: Spoiling a child, responding to needs, nuturing, crying, and more.
- Feeding Baby: Avoiding nipple confusion, returning to work and breastfeeding and more.
Shirley Wingate RNC CD is an OB/GYN nurse with 12 years experience as an obstetrical nurse and childbirth educator. She is certified as a
specialist in women's health and is an experienced labor and postpartum doula in private practice. She is the founder and director of "Birth Matters
Inc." a prenatal and parenting resource and support center. Throughout her career she has been involved in developing, teaching and expanding
services in the community to educate families and support them as they face the changes, challenges and choices that childbearing brings.
She feels that childbirth is a normal, natural and wondrous occasion and has confidence in a woman's ability to listen to her body and trust her
instincts during childbirth. She believes that a laboring mothers thoughts, ideas and concerns should be given the utmost respect and feels that all
women are entitled to a positive birth experience with rich rewards and feelings of accomplishment. She has been published in "The International
Journal of Childbirth Education" and was a contributor to Polly Perez and Deaun Thelan's book on doula programs. She is also on the advisory
council for the guidebook "Having Children, The Best Resources to Help You Prepare." She lives in the Midwest with her husband of 21 years
and has a daughter and two sons.
Shirley will answer your questions on fertility, pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding and babies. Her advice does not take the place of your practitioner. Personal answers will not always be possible.
Copyright © 1998 - 1999 by Childbirth.org All rights reserved.