Doula Training Workshops
Current Louisville Trainings:
July 22nd & 23rd
8:00 AM - 8:00 PM
8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Call to register: (502)426-8228
The workshop is designed to help participants become expert labor providers. It utilizes tools and supplementary literature, videos, and role play to build theoretical knowledge and practical skill. During the workshop the students will:
- Define the scope of practice of the Doula
- List the benefits of the Doula on obstetrical outcomes as demonstrated in 6 scientific projects
- Describe the varying roles of the Doula
- List reasons for prenatal meeting between Doula and client
- Describe records to keep and reasons to keep them
- Detail the emotions of labor and the support needs of the woman
- Demonstrate competence in labor support in a role play situation
- Describe the emotional needs of a woman in a difficult or complicated labor
- Demonstrate competence in massage, acupressure, patterned breathing, and maternal positioning
- Present the Doula's role during a cesarean
- Describe the Doula's role with the newborn and in the immediate postpartum
- Describe the purpose of the postpartum follow-up meeting
- List ideas for managing practical matters, such as getting experience, finding clients and managing daily life on call
- Detail ways that Doulas may gain credentials
Required Background for participants
This workshop assumes a basic knowledge of pregnancy & childbirth, either as a childbirth educator, nurse with labor and delivery experience, or through midwifery. If you do not have this background, you should audit a childbirth series before this workshop.
Workshop Site and Accommodations
These workshops will be held in many locations. For information on hosting a training in your area, contact Stork Smart.
Please do not enquire at this address on trainings in other areas. We have been overwhelmed with these requests. Please write AskDONA@aol.com for a listing of other trainings in other areas, or for information on becoming a doula. Thanks.
Nursing babies are welcome,
as long as they are quiet.
Please send us comments
Return to Stork Smart
Copyright © 1998-2000 Stork Smart